Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Sic? Gordon Ramsey Version

I don't expect Ramsey to be a great grammarian but I think AFP is being way too self-congratulatory here.
They cite:
In an impassioned conclusion, he added: "I know how hard this must be for you Greta, and I'm not expecting a birthday card, but your (sic) punishing your daughter and our four children, for all the wrong reasons, it's so sad. She's an amazing woman and you've been a fantastic mum please don't stop!"
Now I am pretty sure it was AFP who inserted that 'sic', thinking they were so smart, and reading the passage as if 'punishing' were a present participle. But it could perfectly well be a gerundive in this sentence, and then 'your' would be utterly correct, and 'you're' would not. the 'it' in the 'it's' would then be referring to the punishing.
AFP editors are pompous nitwits. Gordon Ramsey probably knew full well what he was doing.
I would certainly be more inclined to trust him than the sort of person AFP would hire as an editor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home