Monday, August 16, 2010

More on Reasonable Accomodation

This seems insane to me but if the coach thinks his Muslim players are his best chance I suppose it makes sense. Heaven knows young hockey players in Canada have to work odd hours.
A Michigan high school football team is holding preseason practices in the middle of the night to help its Muslim players practice both faith and football.
The predominantly Muslim squad from Dearborn says the nocturnal regimen is a way for players to eat and drink while observing the holy month of daytime fasting known as Ramadan that started last week.
Just to emphasize, I think this is loony. Any religion that imposes the restrictions of Ramadan I would walk away from at the drop of a hat, it is obviously so ridiculous, and is even more ridiculous given it really is a desert tribe religion. Did Mohammed think we are all camels?
But it raised an interesting question for me. Let's pick construction, a tough physical job, often performed in summer heat. Do contractors have to give special accomodation to Muslims because they cannot do a lot of work under Ramadan restrictions yet, or is this just something Barbara Hall has yet to think of?
Could I invent a religion that says I cannot do physical labor at any time and ask Babs to commit that I should be hired and paid but not made to work? This IS where the whole logic is leading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home