Friday, May 28, 2010

Reading Questionnaire

h/t Norm and Harriet

Do you snack while reading? Rarely.

What is your favourite drink while reading? Herbal tea.

Do you tend to mark your books while you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you? I read mostly library books now, and am appalled when I see notes written in them, though I am very curious about what people say as they annotate. So no, I never do it myself.

How do you keep your place? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book open flat? Generally, Zelinde Kaiser bookmarks (a local real estate agent who advertises by leaving very durable bookmarks).

Fiction, non-fiction or both? A mix.

Do you tend to read to the end of a chapter or can you stop anywhere? I try to end chapters, though in some cases I will simply toss in the towel anywhere, hoping my memory will work well enough.

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or on the floor if the author irritates you? Never.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop and look it up right away? Only if it seems to matter; it rarely seems to matter.

What are you currently reading? Janna Levin's "A Madman Dreams of Turing Machines".

What is the last book you bought? That is tough. Since retiring over a year ago, my reading needs have been more than filled by the local library and my mother's hand-me-down system. Probably Scott Kelby's "The Digital Photography Book`.

Do you have a favourite time/place to read? At this time of year, mid-afternoon (after `Law and Order`and `Without a Trace`) in the western sun on my front porch.

Do you prefer series books or stand-alones? No preference. Enjoy lots of both. As for series, I think the great recent tragedy is the death of Stieg Larsson, and the closedown of the Lisbeth Salander series.

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over? Scott Turow. Bernd Heinrich.

How do you organise your books (by genre, title, author's last name, etc.)? Having discovered the library system here in Toronto, I am actually trying to unload books, so organizing is a small issue.

Barbara's additional question: background noise or silence? Background noise. From childhood on (one of seven siblings) I have been unable to really concentrate in silence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home