Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I Hope They Planned for Younger Viewers

So I read this article, and I do not doubt anything he says about Lady Gaga and product placement and more power to Stefani Germanotta!
But as I watch 'Bad Romance' all the product placement goes by too fast for my old eyes!
Do you see it?
In ways, I think the journalist has a small point, but it it pretty small.
And there is a confession of helplessness:
What's so subversive about "Bad Romance" -- and perhaps this is a reflection of the compromised times we live in -- is that the art doesn't seem at all diminished by the business agenda. It's beautiful, it's dance-able, and it's exquisite advertising. I just wish my Alexander McQueen pumps fit better. The last stone of any church-state, art-commerce, virgin-whore wall has been toppled and -- my God! -- we don't miss the wall.
The art is not diminished by connection to business in my view. It IS diminished by its derivative nature. Stefani Germanotta is clearly capable of so much more as an artist. Sadly, she will make so much money doing what she is doing that we will never really see how great she is. So it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home