Friday, October 23, 2009

Glee

Toronto is covered with billboards trumpeting the claim that 'Glee' is the funniest TV series available now. I am not sure about that, but I have been sampling it and I love it for more than that. Yesterday, I discovered that one of my cool nieces is a fan, so I think I can rave a little about it myself.
The show has so much fun with the cliches of high school movies, and the cliches are cliches, I suspect, because there is an underlying accuracy. The overall theme is that an idealistic young teacher decides to make his Ohio high school glee club a success, no mean feat given where the glee club fits in the school hierarchy.
The ongoing story undermines the hierarchy a little (the glee club has to help the football team out, for example).
It is no harm to the charm of the story that each episode features wonderful musical performances.
Nor that the writing is full of great little touches - "we can take home that blue ribbon like two prime heifers in love".
Lea Michele is wonderful as Rachel, and Jane Lynch as the cheerleading coach. But there is nobody weak. Well worth watching!
GlobalTV provides the last several episodes online.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home