Friday, June 26, 2009

A Rough Day

At the start of yesterday I had to absorb the death of Farrah Fawcett. I am with Rondi on this one, and I can certainly see why one would want to emulate her shampooing. That hair was stunning, but so was so much else. And the life story with Ryan O'Neal has its own strange appeal, with the clear loyalty over so many years, despite his being a hardly perfect person.
And at the end of the day, Michael Jackson! The last music video of any appeal to me was 'Thriller', and he was only 50. He was forced to work from childhood on, never had a proper childhood, and turned out as freaky as pop psychiatrists would expect one to in such circumstances. But 'Thriller' was 'Thriller'. And many other people clearly liked a lot more than what I liked.
It's a smaller world today, at least until I find out who were born today who will make my world richer in time.
UPDATE: Phil Miller provides wonderful reminiscences, though that is not quite the right word. I had no idea Farrah had been on 'The Dating Game' (one of the better reality shows). She was ludicrously beautiful.
UPDATE #2: Andrew Sullivan, whom I follow more for Iran than other stuff, has some fine reflections on Jackson. And he makes me realize how good 'Billie Jean' was too. A sad day. (Be warned - Sullivan gets somewhat silly in his post. He needs to read Joseph Heath's book. Michael Jackson was NOT created by a money culture.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home