Monday, June 22, 2009

Random Harvest

OK I made it to 60 never remembering having seen this movie. So SillyWife and I watched it last night.
About all I can say is "Wow!". SillyWife said she was ready to sign off after a half hour but then even in her somewhat stupefied state managed to stay engaged to the end.
This film did almost NOTHING to address key points of possible suspension of disbelief like the age of the characters. And yet it barely mattered. Garson and Colman, and the wonderful cinematography, all convinced me to relax and enjoy.
I have no strong memory from watching Greer Garson films but she is now up on my priority list as I choose what to tape and watch. Enjoy these early ten minutes from the movie.

Is she beautiful and charming or is she beautiful and charming? And realize how in 1942 the Harry Lauder reference would have meant so much more! (The legs would have meant about the same as now.)
It seems YouTube can let you watch the whole thing, if you are willing to do some searching. Here is how it finishes - but you need all that is in between to get the proper tear outlet.
And SPOILER SPOILER you are way better off suffering through the two magnificent hours.
(Another fan of the source of my taping of this movie, Rondi, is a great lover of the French language. For anyone who loves the English language hearing Ronald Coleman and Greer Garson speaking is transcendent.)

I loved it - it was utterly James Hilton.
Thanks so much to Ted Turner!

1 Comments:

At 1:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I first saw this movie years and years ago and it became one of my all-time favourites. It was just on tonight and I was mesmerized by it all over again. I agree the age difference of the Ronald Colman character and the young lady he was proposing to marry seems a bit weird but aside from that it's such a great love story. A real "tear jerker".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home