Friday, March 20, 2009

Farcical Reporting

When I woke, my CBC radio told me Obama had recorded a video addressed to the people of Iran. What an interesting term. I pictured a video, saying Americans respected the people, in which he said nothing about the mullah-dominated government, or tried to undermine it I would say I was misled.
From the transcript (h/t LGF):
In particular, I would like to speak directly to the people and leaders of the Islamic Republic of Iran. Nowruz is just one part of your great and celebrated culture.

The United States wants the Islamic Republic of Iran to take its rightful place in the community of nations.

So this was in fact an overture to the current government of Iran. The CBC lied.
I do not know that I mind this overture, though I suspect it will prove to have a laughable outcome (if you can laugh at the outcome - I am likely old enough to - my nieces and nephews, maybe not so much). According to CNN, it is accompanied by a recent increase in sanctions against Iran, which would be the right approach, but I am not sure what to believe.
But I wonder what Iranian dissidents are hearing when they finally get to listen to this speech. Will it be what Natan Sharansky heard when Reagan referred to the 'Evil Empire' (BTW at the time I thought Reagan was going way over the top - Sharansky, who knew way more than I did, would disagree)? I am confident it is not.
No doubt these distinctions are hard for CBC reporters. And no doubt few of them know the history or care.
This is getting sadder and sadder, I fear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home