Friday, February 27, 2009

Night Drive

My erstwhile local paper (pretty erst by now!) has a nice article on Garnet Rogers.
Maybe this is a bit over the top but I will say the song has given me goosebumps from time to time.

The title track is a haunting, atmospherically evocative, deeply felt memorial to his brother as both companion and memory.

It's the kind of song that gives you goosebumps, not only because it's a personal story of love of one brother for another, but because it's both universal and timeless as an expression of loss and sorrow, acceptance and transcendence.

Judge for yourself:

This song has been as close to synaesthesia as I have experienced - the fluttering music does make me think I am seeing stars. His live performances of it have always affected me.
My favorite Garnet song is a lot more concrete, and apparently a true story.

When I see Garnet live, I always request this song. So far I have got a 100% response. He seems a very nice guy. Hmm, maybe even a bit "soft-headed".
UPDATE: Oh my. I had never listened to this song.

It's too late by the grave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home