Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Speech

Oh my! He can be utterly amazing. Unfortunately my job interfered in exceptionally annoying ways during Obama's inaugural speech so I missed it live.
Norm has a lovely review.
As does David at Harry's Place.
For me the most moving passage was:

you cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you.
...
For we know that out patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness

Amen!
I thought there were some brilliant small subtle points in the writing, praising the troops for Khe Sanh (hey Vietnam - we're baby boomers so that was bad, and hey it has nothing to do with boat people!).
And "the risk-takers, the makers". That "For us" sequence is utterly tear-welling.

One thing I found a bit amusing was that he clearly had written some real applause lines, and the audience did not get them. I hope he does not dumb himself down. He is so much fun to hear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home