Friday, August 15, 2008

I Think I Like This! But I am not Sure.

From Die Welt, this interesting report from Germany.

"Kabarettisten sollen nach Ansicht des Zentralrates der Muslime in Deutschland sehr wohl Witze über den Islam machen. „Es geht darum, dass man den anderen auf negative, vielleicht auch lächerliche Umstände aufmerksam macht, die er tagtäglich lebt, ohne ihn dabei zu verletzen“, sagte Generalsekretär Aiman Mazyek der „Leipziger Volkszeitung“. "

My loose translation:

In the opinion of the Central advisory body of Muslims in Germany, cabarets should features jokes about Islam. "The point is to draw attention to Muslims in negative and even ridiculous circumstances, that they daily experience, without injuring them in the process", said General Secretary Aiman Mazyek to the Leipziger People's Daily.


Hmm maybe not quite as whole-hearted an endorsement as I would have liked.

And one of the commenters (yes, the newspaper invites comment!) seemed right:

Kommt der Zentralrat der Muslime auch für den Schutz der Kabarettisten auf wenn diese dann bedroht werden?


Very loosely,

Will the Central Advisory Body of Muslims also support the protection of the comedians when they are threatened?


I hope we get to find out. I will be watching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home