Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Our Sock Puppets

As mentioned in an earlier post.

The absolute best way to learn about these rather dull kids is to go and watch the videos on YouTube - here (just watch until the Sock Puppets get their moment in the sun) and here and here and here and here.

These three children appear to believe that the state is to take care of everyone from start to finish and tell them all what to do. It makes me despair a bit for their careers as lawyers, except possibly taking grievances to human rights commissions in Canada. And I despair that they actually think that their view that editorial freedom should be under their control almost makes me agree with Mark Steyn.

What is sad is that they do not want to argue with Mark Steyn - I would; I think he is wrong and silly about much of what he claims. But rather than simply argue they expect some power above us all to come and protect their feelings, not even their intellectual views (I am not sure they have any). And by the way, one thing that I enjoy about Mark Steyn is a ready and quick wit that can puncture you terribly, and I am sure this is also part of what the Socks implicitly whine about.

For those not familiar with the show on the videos, Steve Paikin, the host, is one of the best moderators I have ever seen in my life. He can make the most hostile of combatants speak to each other. In this case he failed mightily as the Sock Puppets simply wanted to whine; Steyn was willing to actually talk about the odd fact (though I think he is wrong on many). Paikin was clearly utterly befuddled by the nutty views of the Sock Puppets about journalistic responsibility and editorial control. (Or a blogger, by the way - I have had whining about the fact that I have made it clear I will delete comments I find offensive on this pathetic little blog.)

What makes me despair the most is that these three appear to have actually graduated from Osgoode Hall Law School, which was once a respected Canadian institution. I suspect it will become a world laughingstock now and should. On the other hand, maybe these guys become Supreme Court Justices, but I am pleased to reflect that I will surely be long dead at that point and it is thus a problem, and it will be a problem, for others.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 7:01 AM, Blogger Allan said...

I am curious to know
exactly where you think Mark Steyn is wrong and silly
about what he claims.

It seems to me the current grotesque trial
that is going on in Vancouver
goes a long way to demonstrate
that Marks Steyn is correct
in his basic claim
that the danger to the West is not from Islamic terrorism
but rather
from their use of Western institutions
to destroy the society from within.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

I have to agree that you make a good point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home