Thursday, June 05, 2008

Locavorism - neighbourhood version

Any regular reader will know how little I think of any notion that we should impose any form of locavorism - you have to eat local food - this is especially important where I live in Canada. I love mangoes, and pineapples, and all sorts of other things that might grow here for a month a year, but why tie oneself down? Moreover, this would REALLY be an imposition on our recent immigrants who probably like mangoes more than I do. So any imposition of it is stupid.

But, recently, the local business organization managed to organize a local farmer's market in a park three blocks from my house, and I just went out and sampled on its first week of existence - there were only about ten stands open; I expect this to grow over the summer.

There was a greeter dressed as an opened pea-pod; unfortunately the picture I got of her exposed as she turned so I missed the lovely peas hanging down her front as part of the pod; maybe next week. I talked to her and she represents the local community organization and was very excited. I am sure she will pose next week. She was very nice. Here is her back, engaged with some locals.



It was clear in some ways this was a success - I got down there early in the opening hours of the first session of this event and this is what one got if one wanted to buy a nice apple pie or muffin! (click to read the notes)



It has been a long time since I regularly shopped at local markets - in fact since I lived in north Waterloo and drove out to St. Jacobs. But this sure reminded me of those days.



(Hey, talk about the hijab!) (OK - context needed, so let me add that that prior market was in Mennonite country - think about the movie "Witness".)

I bought a lot of stuff I do not need. I was very impressed by these tomatoes and now need to schedule eating them! I got some beautiful sirloin (frozen) and some lettuce and green onion, also gorgeous.



This was great!! But I do not want it imposed on me.

It also has a nice side effect; I wound up talking with a whole lot of other people, all of whom live within a mile or so of me, and with whom I had never spoken before. These local markets are great institutions, and I encourage neighbourhood groups to facilitate a lot more of this. I suspect the contact with the rest of the neighbourhood is more valuable than any other factor. And, vaguely connected to earlier posts on an entirely different subject, strollers featured heavily, as well as a whole pile of kids, many of whom looked to me like little Barack Obamas. I think this neighbourhood is just fine.

As for "local". I live in the middle of a gigantic metropolis; none of what was on offer was really "local". I would guess almost all the vendors came from at least 50 kilometers, and others certainly from more like 100. That's fine - I think this is a great addition to the neigbourhood.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home