Wednesday, June 04, 2008

The Library at Alexandria, part II

From Andrew Coyne's continued live-blogging:

Now on to the Amiel article. Talks about the burning of the library of Alexandria in the 4th century, allegedly ordered by the Muslim caliph at the time. Says it’s a “fiction,” though he says even some Muslims believe it.


Now I am baffled - there was no Islam in the 4th century!

Now today's testimony all seems to prove that there are several smart people who do not agree entirely with Mark Steyn, all gainfully employed in the academic world, so like, why is there a problem with respect to being able to argue against his silly article (to help my commenter Allan, I will simply start by saying I think what I have heard of his demographic arguments are weak, especially seeing all the strollers I have seen on European trips in the last few years).

And what qualifies the marsupials, as Ezra has called them (took me a while - goes from kangaroo court to kangaroo judge to marsupial - almost with Steyn in being glib and funny) to adjudicate on matters like this highly contested historical question? Why, even some Muslims believe there was Islam in the 4th century, apparently!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 4:36 PM, Blogger Allan said...

I suspect most Moslem families do not wheel their children
about
in strollers
very much.

They certainly don't
here in Turkey
where I am at the moment.

Incidentally
having recently passed
through the dreaded security checks
at Heathrow
I was taken aback
by the very politically incorrect observation
(I am sure many other passengers were
as well
though no one would dare say it)
that ALL of the security guards seemed to be Moslem.

Certainly the women were,
dressed as they were
from head to toe
in black burqas
(or whatever they call those things)

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

After the Air India bombing, I went on a business trip with a colleague and friend, and he made the observation that even back then all the security was in the hand of Sikhs (and NO I do not mean to confuse those, just to point out that our staffing policies might seem to have been odd for a long long time).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home