Monday, March 24, 2008

How Do I not Recall This?

Having been older than Glenn Reynolds at the time, I too am stunned that I have NO recollection of the hostage-taking he cites (no doubt one to figure as an omen in future histories of our age).

an armed band of American Muslim militants invaded several buildings in Washington on March 9, 1977


I recommend the Washington Post article cited, featuring an appearance even by Marion Barry. This tidbit should sound familiar:

One of the captors told them that "if anyone does anything wrong, he'll cut their head and throw it out of the window," she recalled.


Even more I recommend the wedding announcement that triggers the whole post. The story is wonderfully characteristic of our world, featuring online dating, baseball, and an extended family that is only growing with second marriages.

I will confess that is is mostly the wedding announcements I miss since stopping my subscription to the Sunday NY Times. I guess I could invest the time on the online version!

1 Comments:

At 7:13 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Where was Jimmy Carter during all of this ??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home