Sunday, November 18, 2007

Angela Pell is utterly brilliant - with the right help

Inadvertently I watched a movie - Snow Cake - that our local cable movie station coughed up last week. It is not really Canadian - the production all seems to come out of the UK, and the top stars are Alan Rickman and Sigourney Weaver.
I consider Alan Rickman largely a fool intellectually (witness his affection for Rachel Corrie) but he is stunning. Weaver's autistic mother amazes me.
But in the end it is the great script. Angela Peel wrote a stunning script and her IMDB presence is pretty much lacking. This needs to be fixed. You can find her here.
The script is funny, touching, and utterly educational.
I have rarely been so engaged in watching a film I had never heard of.
After Weaver and Rickman, the cast harvests some of the cream of Canadian acting and they are great. Carrie Ann Moss was truly affecting as Linda's neighbour.
There is at least one major geographical goof but it could only matter to an Ontarian. And it is so easily forgettable.
I imagine this film relies on DVD rentals to recoup its costs - please go do those rentals! It is wonderful. For me a 9-10 out of 10.

4 Comments:

At 6:52 AM, Blogger Lorna said...

Snow Cake was shown late last night and I found myself being drawn into it against my better judgement. I had never heard of the film but loved it. Found it sad, funny, intriguing. A welcome change from the fast and furious, action-packed, horror films which seem to predominate.
Not being an Ontarian, what was the geographical goof???

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

I have now forgotten the goof - I think it had to do with which way the Rickman charater is going in Wawa at the start. A small matter - the movie is just great!

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger grindermom said...

hello! I am Angela Pell the writer and have just come across your lovely blog. I am thrilled you liked the film so much - and VERY pleased to be called 'utterly brilliant' - thank you! X

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

Well if you are Angela Pell, I wish I had an idea of how to get in touch with you. I remain a but skeptical. I do know the screenplay credited to Angela Pell was really great, and gave me a ton of pleasure, Wherever you are, Angela, thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home