Saturday, July 28, 2007

What is so Great about Blogging

One of the joys in blogging, publishing and reading, is the ability to connect in unexpected ways with those who may share some interests with you, but, for example, have very different political views.

Glenn Reynolds exposed a nice example of this when one of his readers thanked him for some data a few days ago. And I understand this issue - it is really hard to get this right!

I now find to my amusement that one of my favourite bloggers, who politically I consider utter knee-jerk and rather silly at times (I do not expect good judgment from him there), has suddenly stumbled on the excellent rock band Rush. His initial enthusiasm is clearly its skepticism about religion, but on further exploration he has to struggle with their skepticism about his (what I would call) knee-jerk leftism.

One of the commenters cited the great lyrics from one song:

So the maples formed a union
And demanded equal rights.
"The oaks are just too greedy;
We will make them give us light."
Now there's no more oak oppression,
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw.


And as a Canadian, I agree it would be the maples. But let me give P. Z. Myers credit - he is just proving his blog is always worth reading!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home