Monday, June 11, 2007

Ashbridge's Bay - Avian Report

I try to report normally more often than I have this year.

Swans: Mama swan was still on the nest yesterday; normally there is at least one other swan paddling nearby, though I have occasionally seen a pair of them paddling in support. I am not sure who the second swan is.

The upsetting fact is I fear I will miss yet again the emergence of the newborns.

Black-Crowned Night Herons: There was no sign of them this year until yesterday, as my wife and I were walking around the inner bay and one of the them flew across and parked himself for viewing. So I hope it is as usual couple down here.

All the others: all looking good - Mallards, Canada Geese, Gulls, Terns, Swallows (rather few this year), Kinglets, Red-Wings, Robins (more than I Can ever recall this year), Cormorants (busily flying around to find the right fishing grounds).

And many unnamed.

Next time I will grab a camera and we will have pictures. The great news is that the bird life is still rich on our waterfront.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home