Tuesday, May 29, 2007

More on the Twittiness of the Doris Day Review

It took me a couple of days but it finally nagged and I realized what was profoundly and ludicrously wrong!

In this post I quoted some ill-considered comments about Doris Day's career. One of the quotes included this passage.

Santopietro is also devastatingly witty, as when he describes how I'm Gonna Ring the Bell Tonight is the "first musical number in history to start off with the conjugating of French verbs to the accompaniment of celery sticks," or when he mocks the Warner Bros. fantasy version of early-20th-century America, where "women happily tend house all day, the men seem to work at banking jobs that are never actually glimpsed, and there is nary a trace of poverty." Day was, of course, part of this invidious, false nostalgia, but her warm, sincere personality shone through even dross to make her the type of optimistic, idealized woman Americans wished they knew.


Here is what finally nagged at me. Doris Day starred in the only musical I know about a union battle, "The Pajama Game", and she played the union organizer.

Is there no requirement that people even do a small bit of homework to pronounce on such subjects? I think I give up. I have cancelled my subscription to the Times (not just over this).

1 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Blogger rondi adamson said...

She also played Calamity Jane, as well as an ambitious advertising person in Pillow Talk.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home