Tuesday, May 29, 2007

More Boing Boing on Venezuela

Boing Boing do try to be quite fair. They have another post on Venezuela. And I Did point in my previos post to a lively comments discussion about the merits of the various positions.

I have had what I would call amusing e-mails from Chavez supporters apologists - the notes generally include some silly contrafactual about what TV stations would be shut down in the US. All I can say is they are simply silly. Hmm - how many have been in the US for political reasons?

Venezuela is a messy place and the Boing Boing guys try to show this. Pre-Chavez it was not a nice society and was a very fragile democracy, and certainly by no means a fully functioning liberal democracy. Of course it is even less so now. I think those who do not worry a bit about the Mugabe precedent, one Chavez has made it clear he understands well, are fooling themselves. Of course they have fooled themselves many times before and will surely fool themselves again. In fact, among those who have sent me notes, their track record is signing up to totalitarians everywhere.

1 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Blogger EclectEcon said...

What concerns me is that Chavez has oil revenues and hence will last much longer and be more pernicious than Mugabe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home