Thursday, April 05, 2007

Sprituality

I occasionally find myself in awkward discussions where people want to know what I "do" about the "spiritual" or what I think about "spirituality". I have never understood what these people are talking about, and still do not. I am a pretty solidly materialist atheist so the categories being discussed do not correspond to anything in my world.
But once a year I experience what I suspect they are on about, and today is that day this year. No, it's not because it is Easter, though that is a nice coincidence this year - it is the start of The Masters. When the CBS theme music starts, I imagine I feel roughly what a religious person might feel when being transcended. If I am right, I can see why they are excited about their experiences. And I am entirely happy that something material fills the role for me.
The flowers, the sound of the birds (and heck yes we have cardinals here but the Augusta cardinals sound larger than life), and in the end, the golfers, make such a world.

2 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Blogger EclectEcon said...

So you weren't bothered that TSN showed the Amen Corner yesterday afternoon on its broadband instead of showing curling???

And what about today??? You'd rather watch the Masters than the curling playoffs?

Really??

You must need a nap or something...

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

Well, I confess that curling does not give me a pseudo-religious feeling the way the Masters does. But I am also perplexed at your suggesting I had to choose - I was flipping back and forth between the golf on the standard TSN feed, and the curling on some other TSN channel I found up in the 400s from my set-top box. I went looking purely on spec and was rewarded!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home