Sunday, January 28, 2007

'The Queen' on the Flight Home

It was even better than that going out. I did not notice the uses of 'God' that were bleeped in the original version. I did hear Mirren say 'bugger' so I am assuming Air canada has popped the new version in.

And incidentally, how was it on second viewing? Just as good - maybe better, as one starts to recognize the precognitions in the script. It remained a film of utterly brilliant bittersweet character. And I still think, compassionate to all, though I have now read reviews saying that it made Philip and Charles look like twits. Well, I think they are twits, and the film utterly did NOT do that.

Nor did it make Elizabeth seem one. There is an early scene, when Charles is frustrated that he cannot persuade the family of his need to fly to Paris in a Royal plane. Elizabeth is going to bed, passes his room, starts to reach out, and they don;t quite connect, but she concedes to him. I found it terribly moving, the failure to connect casually, and yet finding the right way. The film is full of this and it is what life can be like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home