Sunday, January 28, 2007

Australian Open Champions

Talk about justifying your wins with the performance in the final!

Serena Williams utterly dominated.

I watched the first couple of games in the second set of Gonzales-Federer and Gonzales showed what got him where he was. But what a stunning show Federer then put on!

Even more in the awards ceremony, as he congratulated Gonzales' team (I had never seen this done before), and also Ken Rosewall. This is a new era and I like it - Gonzales as well was modest and self-effacing. I despised the era of the brash Conners and McEnroe, and the young pseudo-rebel Agassi. The leaders in tennis today remind me of the '60s and it feels good. Decent humans knowing that what happens on the court is not what happens off it.

1 Comments:

At 5:21 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

I agree utterly that the Gonzales-Haas score gave me hope (I am a big Haas fan, and have come to love Gonzales' game, but Federer is too much).
Personally I find Federer's wins far more exciting than all the arm-pumping of the '80s - but back then it was Borg and Lendl I favoured.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home