Friday, September 08, 2006

Mysterious Monarchs

Last year around this time I spent an afternoon at Port Stanley, on the north shore of Lake Erie. The most striking feature that afternoon was a very steady and heavy flow of Monarch butterflies, all flying westward along the north shore of the lake. None were venturing out over the water. I assumed they were headed west in order to go south between Lake Erie and Lake Michigan and avond a major water crossing.
It made me wonder whether Monarchs originating farther east might use the Niagara peninsula in the same way.
Today I spent the afternoon in Niagara on the Lake. On my way, I noticed many butterflies in Toronto flying with apparent purpose, but I stopped noticing them after the turn south, and I saw not a single one during several hours in Niagara.
On the other hand, Journey North does show some evidence they use this path, and also that they may go straight across one of the lakes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home