Monday, September 25, 2006

DDT

I am generally a great fan of the Becker-Posner blog, but I trembled a little earlier today when I noticed that they had decided to post on DDT, which seems a very treacherous subject for anyone to take on without doing a LOT of research.
The back of my mind said, "Tim Lambert will find something basically wrong in no time."
And he has.
And for those who think Tim does not get some basic economics, I would say this argument is exactly of the right form:

Yes, bed nets don't work if they are not available, but money spent on DDT spraying could instead be used for buying nets. The new long lasting nets appear to be more cost effective than DDT in the long term

I do not know the answer, but I care about people getting the arguments right.

1 Comments:

At 12:18 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

There is llttle better when posting on parasites than having an expert on the field comment!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home