Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Read me the story again, please

I will confess to never tiring of hearing the text of 'The Importance of Being Earnest'. Given that Soulpepper was doing it this summer, it was clear I had to go yet again, and am freshly back from tonight's production.
It is no surprise to me that it was very enjoyable, very well-acted, with some wonderfully surprising performances.
I was very worried, formed as I was by Edith Evan's Lady Bracknell, but Nancy Palk was imperial and wonderfully stentorian in the role. And was that the very gorgeous Brenda Robins as Miss Prism? Oliver Dennis' Dr. Chasuble made me feel right at home.
In the end one must simply thank Oscar Wilde for the sheer pleasure of the sound of it all.
But thanks again to Soulpepper for letting me wallow once more in that sheer pleasure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home