Thursday, August 31, 2006

Landes on Gaarder

My sister posted a couple of times on Jostein Gaarder's unfortunate and quite shocking self-expression during the Israel-Hizbollah war - one post is here and another on his qualified apology here.
The estimable medievalist, and scholarly expert on fakery, Richard Landes, has seen fit to respond with a close reading of what Gaarder chose to say and the results are not pretty in terms of the possible interpretations.
The first two parts (he has more to come!) are thorough and fascinating. You can start here and then go here.
It is a lot of work but well worth it in terms of the historical breadth and knowledge of the ways of thinking behind many arguments.
I look forward to the work of reading future parts.
This effort certainly explains the title of Landes' blog.
The other good thing is I will never feel bad at not investing time in Gaarder's novels. (I will stick to Stephanie Plum.)

2 Comments:

At 1:25 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

You have your narrative. I have friends from Haifa (and Lebanon) and know how off the mark it is. I gave the link to Landes to encourage a debate over there.
Please go try to debate Landes.
He wants to devote his time to this, as you seem to want to. Seems to me that is the right model.
I look foreard to reading it.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

OK don't engage him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home