Saturday, May 27, 2006

Latest from the Waterfront

On a previous visit I did determine that we have two Black-Crowned Herons after all; it's not that common to see them side by side, but I was lucky. One the same visit, I saw only one swan paddling about on the inner bay; that could mean something tragic, or it could mean that the other swan was on the eggs, as I managed to watch for several weeks last year. If they are actively nesting now, it is not where they were last year, so I have some exploring to do.
This morning's visit featured a very quiet bay, with only a couple of cormorants, a couple of mallards, and the usual gulls visibly active. As I was on my way back to my car, a black-crowned heron broke from the bushes at my side, and then settled on one of his favourite roosts.
It was a chance to try out my new Kodak Easyshare P850 at its highest focal length of a claimed 432mm (!!) equivalent.

This shot was hand-held, with me leaning against a tree, but it certainly shows that the image stabilization works pretty well! As you can see (open the image to see it better), the bird had some doubts about me, and decided to bolt as I tried to line up another shot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home