Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Bobby Goren

Law and Order : Criminal Intent is now being syndicated and run daily along with my beloved Law and Order : Special Victims Unit.
For the first many episodes of Criminal Intent, I found myself feeling quite unsympathetic to the detectives, especially the male partner, Bobby Goren, played by Vincent d'Onofrio.
But I find myself now quite sold on him. d'Onofrio is wonderful at conveying the guy's wackiness; this is combined in the series with an amazing effectiveness. He susses things out! He goes off and studies stuff. He reads the Koran. He goes to the Library. I think he is marvellous! And while this sub-series is straying wildly from Law and Order's general realism, it is a lot of fun.
I suspect my normal insistence on the stories I watch seeming plausible has been undermined by my newfound commitment to the various CSI incarnations. These are rife with material that cannot be real - my favourites still are the magical image enhancements - there are only 4 pixels left but the magic algorithm produces a clear picture, either with a licence number or the name on a driver's licence! This is utter nonsense, but surely so is most of what they show - immediate DNA identifications, immediate epithelial identifications. And man do they love epithelials - these are second only to flashlights!
In the end though, Vincent d'Onofrio is no match for Mariska Hargitay. Back to Law and Order : SVU!!

8 Comments:

At 8:32 AM, Blogger rondi adamson said...

In real life, the actor who plays Bobby Goren is crazy.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger EclectEcon said...

What do you think of Numb3rs? I have come to like it quite a bit. At first I sneered at the superficial treatment of the math involved, but it has grown on me.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

rondi:
That makes sense - no wonder he plays Bobby Goren so convincingly.

eclectecon: re : Numb3rs
Is it syndicated yet? I prefer to be able to watch every show ever made in a 2-3 month period.

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger mus said...

My problem with Numb3rs is that the math part of it seems to be becoming less important. Sometimes it seems a bit too forced - in the script because the show's format demands it. I also get the feeling that they wedge the FBI into a lot of cases that really aren't in its jurisdiction. Overall, though, I still enjoy it when I see it. I went off the original L&O when they did a show dealing with clinical trials of drugs and got it so hopelessly wrong that I couldn't suspend my disbelief even for a minute. Plus, turns out Jerry Orbach was a big part of why I liked the show. Do you reckon that Mariska Hargitay takes after her mother or her father?

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

Point 1: Hargitay. I always thought her mother a joke and I had no concept of her father other than the name. But she is really spectacular.
Point 2: I miss Jerry Orbach too. Richard Beltzer is a partial substitute but the sad fact is we are poorer foe this loss.
Point 3: Part of me worries about trying it. I am at heart a mathematician and would be unforgiving about stuff they got wrong. Still, I shall try it when I find it syndicated.

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger mus said...

She did get precisely the right combination of genes, didn't she.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

That is SO true.

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger rondi adamson said...

Oh gosh, I don't think Hargitay's mother was a joke. I actually saw one of those A&E Biographies of her and found it, and her, far more interesting than I would have imagined.
Mariska, in her face, anyways, looks exactly like her dad. He was a guest on the show once and it was freakish to see them side by side!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home