Friday, January 20, 2006

How to Tell a Canadian

Well, as Groucho would say, you cannot tell us much, since we know everything better than anyone.

But what I really mean is, are we detectable abroad.

Even in England, it seems , "house" and "about" betray us. At least, to foreigners. Some of them. Perhaps mostly from the US but there is no question the Brits are getting it.

My favourite marker, which has been used to spot my origins as well, is the Mountain Equipment Co-Op. I travel with a MEC bag and an MEC windbreaker, both excellent products. Now this marker is one that is not understood very well except by Canadians. But I have had so many Canadians figure me out this way in years that I regard it as a key tool. Of course it sorts for only a certain sort of Canadian.

I recall once walking in Paris behind two cool dudes wearing pants with a big 'MEC' logo and I wondered if they sensed the mischief of that logo. 'Mec' is French for 'guy' but they were wearing the utterly Canadian markers. I hope the French know about this.

4 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Blogger rondi adamson said...

Trust me, the French don't know this!

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

So they think we poor saps are trying to tell them we are guys? Sad.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger rondi adamson said...

I doubt they notice, other than to think, "are you ever badly dressed, you ignorant American!"

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

I fear you are dead right - and as a past-middle-aged Canadian guy with minimal style, who loves MEC products, I suspect you are spot on.l

 

Post a Comment

<< Home