Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Holier than Whom?

I am still vibrating with laughter after finding this news item about a Norwegian 'celebrity' who is boycotting the Letterman show, because of the missile strike in Pakistan that apparently did not kill al-Qaeda's number 2 lovely, but now, despite early efforts to spin it as misconceived, does appear to have removed many of his aides.
"After Friday's (bombing), it's not of interest to contribute anything at all to a country like the USA," Rønningsbakken said.
Well, no doubt the talk show hosts in Pakistan and Saudi Arabia can make up for this.
Mind you, I am sure the USA will be devastated at the loss of his planned contribution.

I hope Letterman can find a way to survive this blow.





3 Comments:

At 2:12 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

This particular Norwegian is a popgun thinking he is a cannon. That is what the post is about.
Now his moral position may be excellent. I don't think it is, but it is a separate issue, and I do plan to address this with a later post. Personally, I hope we do target missiles against people who invite al-Zawahari and buddies to dinner.
I think we (actually, I fear only 'they' are) are defending many things that are a key part of my daily life, and I suspect yours.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

Iraqis and Afghans? Huh? All the poll results I have seen show they are pleased that the coalitions came in - so yes, I agree, they are happy to see the aggressors removed - perhaps not the aggressors you would pick.

I agree that the 'resistance' in Iraq and the other Islamist forces should observe the Geneva Convention. Would be nice in Palestine too.

Yes the sovereignty argument is an important and tricky one. Sudan? Should we be doing as little as we are doing?

The Norwegian acrobat is a pompous ass Though I do love the picture as it was taken in one of the most amazing places in the universe.

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

Regarding the perspectives at least of Iraqis and Afghans it is interesting to read (from the BBC!):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4641396.stm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home