Sunday, December 04, 2005

March of the Penguins

I am a sucker for nature specials, and ordered the DVD of Luc Jacquet's March of the Penguins. I had to - there was so much traffic on the Web about how some people had somehow regarded this film as proof of some alternative to roughly Darwinian theories - I find this mind-bending, as I can think of few other cases of poor individual creatures' lives turned so totally ugly by the interests of their genes. Any raw creator of these lives must have been wildly malicious.

The trick with buying a DVD is the answer to the question of how many times one could watch it. Well I can watch penguins for hours so this is no problem! Moreover, it turns out that the narrator of this version is Morgan Freeman. Heavens to Betsy - what a delight - I will rent what I know will be totally rotten films just to hear him speak. Has anyone in the world a more delightful voice? I may just go to bed to this DVD for the rest of my life....

It is a very well-done story, very sad, and terribly touching. (And I mean that word 'terribly'.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home