Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Law and Order

My friend EclectEcon has begun to sign off his enthusiasm for "Law and Order".

I read his post and thought about it and had to agree that there was a gruesome political correctness taking over even this series that for so long had made so much sense and had done so much to teach us about how the law works.

And yet. And yet. I shall keep watching. And here is why.

Mariska Hargitay in SVU. I always thought Jayne Mansfield was a sad joke. What a nice heritage and lovely actress for her to have left behind.

The general troop of Jack McCoy's ADAs. This is one major puclchritudinous army, now shipped off across the universe. All gorgeous young actresses. There seems no end to them.

I am in my mid-50s. And so there is something I enjoy even more. The syndicated episode I watched tonight featured Mariette Hartley! She is a delight - of course she had a certain other magic on her younger days in the fabulous Ride the High Country and later in the Rockford Files but heavens - it is nice to see her now.

Moreover we also get Dianne Wiest, who had two unforgettable dates in one night with Hannah's ex-husband in Hannah and her Sisters.

So I can absorb the political correctness for some other politically incorrect rewards.

2 Comments:

At 11:36 AM, Blogger rondi adamson said...

Was Mariette Hartley ever actually on Rockford Files? Or was it just that she did those Kodak ads with James Garner?

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Alan Adamson said...

I loved the Kodak commercials, but in fact IMDB asserts that she played in the Paradise Cove Episode #6 aired Sept. 28, 1979. See http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071042/guests.
Of course the woman who dominated the series was Gretchen COrbett. But it is one place Hartley showed up, it seems.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home