Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Boxing Day at the Beach


With my new-found vision, I am trying to get back into the habit of regular visits to my normal jogging haunts (I am not yet allowed to exercise vigorously, but walking is permitted). So I wandered down to the beach this morning; it is Canada, so it is not quite summery, but I was greeted by a lovely sunrise.
Part of my mission was to see how the swans were doing. I came upon three of them having breakfast (and you will note the young (grey) one is even drooling with satisfaction in one of the pictures).


Also about were the usual mallards, plus quite a number of buffleheads, what I took to be some goldeneyes. Some cormorants were commuting from their roosting area to their breakfasting spot.
I went back this morning and behold! The oldsquaws are back! I love their chatter when they are gathered en masse; today they were paddling about in small groups so it was a little impressive. But the arrival of the oldsquaws is always a milestone (I did not see any yesterday, though they could have been around somewhere).
There was also a sign that a beaver had been actively at work recently.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home